Self Build Insurance

Self Build Insurance

Self Build Insurance for new home build, renovation, conversion or extension, insure your new build, existing buildings, equipment and supplies. Site insurance, renovation insurance, structural warranty, contractor’s insurance, employer’s liability insurance and contract works insurance with 12 year’s self build protection insurance.

With self build insurance, you can protect your new home whilst you are building your home and against any defects caused by the build process, you can insure yourself against being let down by your builders and you can insure your property whilst you are building or renovating, your self build insurance can also include insurance for a caravan you have on site or any other temporary buildings as well as insurance for tools and materials left on site.

One of the most important types of insurance for self builds is structural insurance, if you have had your home or extension designed to your own specification you want to know that the structure of the building is sound and that you can claim on your buildings insurance if there is a problem.

Self Build Protection

With self build protection, you can insure your home for between ten and twelve years against any defect in your homes construction, that means if a problem develops like subsidence, cracks in the walls or general build quality you’re be able to claim on your insurance so you have the money to get your building put right.

When you get a free quote online for self build insurance your able to choose from a wide range of insurance options or you can choose a standard self build package which covers most of the risks you can face and are able to claim for whilst building your own home.

Site Insurance

Site insurance will insure your building site whilst you are building your own home, the site insurance can include employers liability insurance for any workman you are employing as well as insurance for the equipment on your site, the equipment might be your own or it might be rented equipment, equipment like diggers and concrete mixers are called plant and you can insure the plant that you have rented so if for example your own equipment or the equipment that you are renting is stolen, vandalised or catches fire your be able to claim on your insurance.

Renovation Insurance

With renovation insurance, you’re specifically insuring a property that you are renovating rather than a new build the difference is that you will need insurance for the existing property as well as the work you are undertaking in renovating the property, should building work make the original property structurally unstable for example then you’re be able to claim on your renovation insurance.

Contractors Insurance

Contractors insurance as part of your self build insurance package will insure you against all risks from your contractor including your contractors walking off site and leaving the job half completed, if your contractor causes a defect in the house then your be able to claim on your insurance for the defect to be put right and the contactors insurance can also provide employers liability insurance so that if a contractor is injured whilst working on your property the contractor can claim on your insurance rather than you having a personal liability and needing to pay the cost of medical care or for days off work recovering.

Contractors insurance can also include insurance for the contractor’s tools so if tools are stolen or vandalised whilst on site then you’re be able to claim on your insurance, a relief when a contractor is accusing you of removing equipment from site or asking you to pay for its replacement.

If you directly employ people yourself and they are not a contractor then your need employers liability insurance so that if your employee hurts themselves at work they can claim on your liability insurance, for example a building that should have scaffold does not and an employee overreaching on a ladder falls and injures themselves, without liability insurance you have to personally pay any claims made against you, that’s not just claims that the individual employee might make against you but claims the employers private medical insurance might want to make against you.

Building Protection Insurance

With building protection insurance, you can get up to twelve years of protection against any defects in the construction of your home, this is probably the most important type of self build insurance as a self build home will be difficult to get a mortgage without it as the mortgage company will want to know that the building was constructed properly and that there is insurance to pay out in the event of any faults.

Contract Works Insurance

Contract works insurance is also known as site insurance and is the insurance component of self build insurance that insures all the building work that is being carried out by your contractors, the insurance will generally include insurance for the contractors machines and any liability you may have as well as insurance for any materials on site and insurance to cover the work that the builders are doing on your home, the contract works insurance will cover all trades from builders, plumbers (Plumbing and Drainage Insurance), electricians (Home Electrical Insurance) and more.

Self build insurance is like standard buildings and content insurance but covers the property whilst it is being built, remember you may not have a roof on your building and your self build insurance will cover water damage and storm damage as well as flooding and fire and you’re at higher risk from all these whilst your property is unfinished, for example plumbers using gas burners to join pipes is an increased risk of fire and no roof means an increased risk of flooding.

Your self build insurance can include temporary building cover, for example you might be living on site in a caravan or other temporary building and you’re want fire, flood and theft insurance on your building as well as contents insurance as a building site may well be left unguarded (Home Security Insurance) for periods of time where thieves or vandals may enter your building site and temporary buildings to cause damage or steal tools, machinery or your possessions if your living on site.

Standard Home And Contents Insurance

The reason you can’t take out standard home and contents insurance for a self build property is because whilst you are building your property the building is not finished and not weather tight, there are increased risks caused by rain and workers on site, even when your self build property is complete you might not be able to get standard home insurance if the building is not a standard design, for example you might have specified grass turf on your roof or a thatched roof or a wooden construction for your home, any non-standard building methods are not covered by standard home insurance and your need a specialist self build home insurance, even some main stream mortgage suppliers will not insure a self build property that has non-standard construction techniques.

If your self build property uses standard construction techniques and the only thing different about your self build is that you have had input into the designs then there will be no reason to get specialist self build property insurance once the property is built, but whist the property is under construction you will need self build property insurance.

Site Liability Insurance

Site liability insurance is needed because whilst your home is under construction there are increased risks on your building site, these risks might include workers falling off ladders and wanting to claim against your insurance for their injuries, time off work or neighbours complaining that a lorry backed into their garage and caused damage to their garage which you must now pay for, with site liability insurance you’re be able to claim on your insurance for any third party claims against you.

Self build insurance will include third party loss insurance where loss of property or injury to third parties (other people not yourself) can be claimed on your insurance, so for example your chimney falls off your property and damages a car parked near your property, the owner of the car will want you to pay the cost of repairing or replacing their car, if there was a person in the car at the time who was injured then time off work recovering from injuries might also be claimed against your insurance, without insurance you would have to personally pay out.

Renovation, Conversion Or Extensions

Renovation, conversion or extensions to property carry their own additional risks as you may want the insurance to include property and contents insurance whilst you live in the home being rebuilt or converted and your existing home will have additional risks of structural damage whilst the renovations or extensions are being carried out, as your living in the home whilst it is being extended your need your self build insurance to account for this, when you complete the online quite form you can tick boxes on the quote form to list the type of cover you would like insurance for.

With home improvement insurance you are not building your home from scratch but are improving, modifying and renovating your own property, home improvement insurance covers you for accidents caused when using tools and machinery as well as any contractors you might be using who injure themselves, you can also include liability cover with home improvement insurance so that if your renovations cause damage to a neighbouring property then your insurance will pay out to your neighbours, for example you accidentally remove a load bearing wall which causes your neighbours wall to collapse, your neighbour would then be able to claim on your insurance for repair of their own property.

When you are renovating your home or adding an extension your home might be not lived in whilst you make the alterations to your home, did you know that your standard home and contents insurance will not offer cover when your home is left unoccupied (Unoccupied Property Insurance), this is because there is an increased risk of theft and vandalism in an empty property and with no one living in the home any faults from for example leaking water pipes or fires from electrical cables will go unnoticed until the house has been substantially damaged, with someone living in the house these faults would be picked up sooner and a fire put out or leak repaired before it became a major problem, for this reason your need unoccupied (vacant) property insurance whilst the property is not lived in.

Self Build Insurance Brokers

To discover a range of self build insurance brokers simply complete the online quote form by entering the details of your property and ticking the insurance options that you want, then you’re be presented with the best insurance quote that meets your entered requirements.

Site insurance for property developers is for someone who develops several properties at once to only have one policy where they can add individual properties to the same policy, this reduces the cost of the insurance as you’re not taking out several different insurance policies, it’s easier for the property developer too as with one policy you can add and remove your sites as you buy more sites or finish developing the site into a completed property.

With your self build property insurance you can also get a service that will come out to your property and add warning and safety signs to the site and highlight any safety issues that your site and development might have, this is an optional service which you would be paying for but can choose not to buy if you don’t want too.

EL & PL Employers Liability And Personal Liability Insurance

EL & PL Employers Liability Insurance and Personal Liability insurance are two types of liability insurance that you will need for a self build property, you will only need employer’s liability insurance if you are actually employing people yourself, if you are using a contractor then the contractor is not your employee and you don’t need employer’s liability cover. Personal liability you will still need and is any claim you might have against you by a third party, for example a reversing lorry carrying supplies for your property damages your neighbours garden and the neighbour wants you to make restitution, you would then be able to claim against your insurance for your liability rather than having to pay out of your own pocket.